Sunday, February 5, 2012

self reflection of inquiry 1

As I watched my video and began my reflection there were multiple thoughts going through my head (besides "oh my god my voice sounds horrible!Do I really sound like that in real life??) The biggest thought was "I didn't bomb it, I didn't do great, but I didn't bomb it... maybe I don't suck." I am a perfectionist, and it doesn't work very well with my tendency to word vomit when I get nervous. After presentations there are approximately 742 thought that go through my head and about 738 of them are "you should have done this"; "next time you need to work on this"; "that mistake you made that got pointed out NEVER make it again"; and finally there is always this thought, "did I as stupid as I think I did?"  Watching the video, even though it was awkward and I seriously hate my voice, gave me some confidence that I think will improve my teaching. Now don't get me wrong, there is still plenty I need to work on and I will beat my self up over those flaws; however, it is nice to know that I am not as bad as I think I am. It got me out of my head, which in the long run will help tremendously. Below is kind of my self graded rubric which I composed after looking at scores, reading comments, and watching the video. 

 
Inquiry
The experiment was relevant to my subject and level, I will just have to keep in mind that this will have to be a long term (over a week) lab. I will have to plan other instruction for the span of this lab, but I will try to keep the instruction osmosis related in order to keep the students from getting confused. If I could do this inquiry over again I would have picked a topic that revealed more ‘useable’ data, but now I know what works and what doesn’t when I perform this lesson in a classroom. 
Teacher presence
I TALK TO FAST! When I get nervous I tend to talk to fast when I get nervous! I know this is a bad habit that I have been trying to break, but I am working on it (trying to reduce my suckiness!) I tried to make eye contacts, but I noticed that I didn’t do as well as I thought I did. I interacted with the “students”, which I enjoy much more than I enjoy pure lecture. I need to work on being more eloquent and ‘making my words matter’. When I need to work on slowing down and making sure that my point is understood before moving on to the next slide or idea. I need to work on not jumping around so much, and follow steps and not bouncing around. I do have a loud voice that you don’t have to struggle to hear.
Introduction and experimental procedure
I engaged the students in the introduction, but again I should have slowed down and used more time to gain the attention an interest of the students.
Data collection
For this particular inquiry I did not have enough time to reach a conclusive hypothesis. I should have timed the experiment better and collected more stats to accurately convey the experiment. I also should have used a more accurate scale to collect the data. 
Analysis and interpretation
I used Vassar stats to analyze the data. After plugging in the numbers multiple times into Excel and not getting statistics that made sense I used the Vasser stats website that analyzes the data. The data both confirmed and denied my hypothesis, forcing me to make two separate null hypothesizes. I believe given more time, like mentioned above, the statistics would have been more accurate. 
Product
The red doesn’t show up very well against the black and the pictures. The slides contained to much information per slide. I could have done a better job. I didn’t just read the conclusions of the inquiry off the slides, but rather, I used to the slides to supplement my instruction. I depended on the Power point more than I wanted to ( I hate when teacher read off a powerpoint and the powerpoint is the teacher).

No comments:

Post a Comment