Thursday, February 9, 2012

blog post 3

When I took my first SKyteach class last semester I was introduced to the 5E lesson plan for the 1st time. At first I resented it, mostly because I failed every quiz that was given about it; however, I learned to appreciate the model. I still don't follow it to a tee, and I don't think that it is even possible, but the way the 5E model suggest you teach a lesson is brilliant. It takes into consideration that there is more to teaching and leaning than just standing in front of the white board and yammering on for an hour. The more you think about the model the more sense it makes. It may not always be called "engagement, exploration, explanation, elaboration, or evaluation", but the majority of successful, enjoyable lessons follow a model that allows the students to do the majority of the work. 
Enjoyment needs not to be confused with ease. The model comes with its fair share of challenges. There are some topics that are very hard to make engaging, and even harder to elaborate on. The topics that are naturally hand on or easily lend themselves to hand on activities are great; but those topics, such as the Calvin cycle are more difficult to let the students lead. There are multiple temptations to just write on the board and pass out a nice worksheet that may or may not have an engaging question or two. The 5E model is both challenging and unique in this way.
In order to be a successful in implementing the 5E model in the classroom you need to know what components you are comfortable with and which you need to work on. Below is my personal ranking from most confident to least confident:
1) Explanitaion

2) Engangement

3) Elaboration

4) Exploration

5) Evaluation

No comments:

Post a Comment